As a hard-charging triathlete, one would probably spend their big chunk of time planning and anticipating their next meal or snack. Having a food plan that is time-efficient and can healthfully satiate your appetite is key. These quick and easy smart snacks are planned and as it takes the guesswork out of mealtime, can help one happily eat their way to an ideal race weight. It’s all about reaching one’s race-weight goals and take the guesswork out of fueling with these smart snacking options.
– Cut up jicama and cucumber, squeeze fresh lime juice and sprinkle salt and chili powder on top.
– Make deviled eggs by combining hard-boiled egg yolks with a dollop of Greek yogurt, capers, dill and chives.
– Keep smoked salmon on hand to nosh on with cut-up veggies or rice crackers.
– Soften half an apple or pear in the microwave for 90 seconds to 2 minutes and top with Greek yogurt, cinnamon and a sprinkle of nuts.
– Try one of the new nitrate- and/or gluten-free jerkies or savory meat bars.
– Grill a batch of veggies to keep in the fridge (try zucchini, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli rabe/rapini).
– Make a tray of persimmon, grape, feta and basil skewers for a refreshing sweet-savory snack.
– Whip up chia pudding by combining ¼ cup chia seeds with 1 cup almond milk and 2 percent Greek yogurt (each), and choice of sweetener. Let sit overnight, divide by four, and top with pomegranate seeds, kiwis or persimmons, and nuts.
– Satisfy a salt craving with a serving of stone ground or blue corn chips with fresh salsa and a ¼ cup guacamole.
– Slice up fresh figs and pair with a dollop of part-skim ricotta and a drizzle of honey.
– Toast an English muffin and top with almond butter, banana and agave.
– Curb hunger with a brown rice sushi roll.
– Make a trail mix with favorite assortment of nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips.
– Use whole-wheat tortillas to make turkey/roast beef and cheese roll-ups.