What is Mass Gainer?
Mass gainers support people get the extra calories they need to build muscle. Intense physical training often requires a person to consume more food and quality calories so that they can get additional nutrients. People often take this as a shake-style drink. Mass gainers contain varying amounts of macronutrients. Apart from extra calories, there are other important ingredients that helps overall health such as vitamins, minerals, and creatine.
These types of gainers can be taken in the morning to fuel you for the day and instantly increase your calorie intake, so you don’t have to continuously worry throughout the day about getting enough calories. It can also be taken post workout after you’ve depleted a high number of calories working out. Mass gainers can help those who are looking to bulk up such as strength and power athletes, natural bodybuilders, etc.
What is Weight Gainer?
A weight gainer can simply be defined as a bodybuilding supplement. It usually packaged in powder form, which provides a large amount of calories per serving and usually contains a large amount of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to fuel recovery and muscle growth, to ultimately aid in body weight gain.
Being rich in carbs it provides extra calories which in turn results in weight gain along with some fat gain. The general composition of a weight gainer is high in carbohydrate, mainly simple carbs, high to moderate in fat and low in protein along with some extra vitamins and minerals.
What’s difference between mass gainer and weight gainer?
A simple difference is clear by the name. Mass gainer helps to gain muscle mass and weight gainer helps when you want to gain weight. When you aim is to become bodybuilder, you probably can go for mass gainer. And hard weight gainer can opt for weight gainer to help make their body gain weight while they shape their self in gym. This being said, it is very important that you get right knowledge before you chose any gainer.
Benefit of mass gainer and weight gainer
Mass gainers or weight gainers have multiple benefits if used correctly and as per the recommended dosage. Some of these benefits are:
Provides Fibres –
- A good amount of fibre helps in the removal of toxins from the body.
- Can aid those involved in sports with weight categories such as boxing, wrestling, etc and want to move up to a heavier category.
Aids in Muscle Growth and Recovery –
- This can be crucial for ectomorphs who generally find it hard to bulk up.
- The most imperative function of a weight/mass gainer is to enable the growth and development of muscles.
Rich in Carbohydrates –
- Weight/Mass gainers give you with a good amount of carbohydrates which are the key source of energy. This can help in sustaining longer or more intense workouts.
Right Balance of Minerals and Vitamins:
- Vitamins and minerals are important for your body to stay healthy.
Keeps You Lean –
- Weight/Mass gainers make sure that you get only good fats.
Fulfils Your Caloric Requirements –
- Weight/Mass gainers quite apparently help you to achieve your everyday caloric requirements.
Side effect of mass gainer and weight gainer:
It is necessary to evaluate the side effects of weight/mass gainers too. So, here are some side effects of mass gainers –
- Excess Weight Gain – In some people, they can lead to excess and quick weight gain. You need to make sure that you regularly workout if you are consuming gainer. Otherwise, it can result to excessive weight gain.
- Indigestion – You may probable suffer from indigestion or constipation.
- Insomnia – The presence of creatine and caffeine can result in insomnia.
- Cramping – Some people have complained of cramping too.
Food that contribute as a natural resource to gain weight:
While gaining weight can be a fight, the following foods may help. They can also increase muscle and improve overall health.
Milk, Protein shakes, Rice, Red meat, Nuts and nut butter, Whole wheat breads, Starchy foods like potato, Salmon, Dried fruits, Avocados, Dark chocolates, Cereal bars, Whole grain cereals, Eggs, Fats and oils, Cheese, Yoghurt, Pasta
Main ingredients to look for while choosing weight gainer and mass gainer:
Our Proathlix Mass gainers such as Lean Mass Gainer and Muscle Pump contain ample calories, but the source of those calories is equally important. Your goal is to get lean and muscular and not fat! Therefore, our mass and weight gainers tick all the basics of high quality mass gainers. The main ingredients are:
- 3:1 Ratio of Carbs vs Proteins
- Digestive Enzymes
- Low Added Sugar
- Vital Nutrients
How to use gainer to get the maximum benefit:
A single serving of a mass gainer is capable of providing anywhere from 350 calories to 1200+ calories. But you want to use it in the right proportion, and only as much as is required.
In the case of most people, the recommended 3 cups of mass gainer supplement mixed with 24 ounces of milk may be a too high. And so, it’s recommended that you break it down in gaps with smaller amounts. This way you’ll not only be able to digest it properly, but will also be able to get in the habit of taking regular meals.
DECKLINE LEITAO (CSCS, NASM-PES, CES, CPT)
Deckline Leitao, who holds a sports science degree from South Africa and a PG diploma from the UK, is one of India’s most qualified trainers.